Friday, September 23, 2005

How much did they schtupp you for?

This morning I laced up my running shoes and did a mile loop in preparation for my first ever 5-K run tomorrow. I also brought some money to treat myself to an iced non-fat vanilla latte afterwards. I justify my excessive espresso purchases based on 90% of my meals being paid for at work. I dare-say I need not justify, most would find my coffee habit pure logic.

Anyway, after purchasing my latte from the coffee shop called Butter, I happily headed down the street to my apartment. Suddenly, the doors of a mini school bus swung open and an old lady with white hair and an embroidered sweatshirt called out to me. Did they want me to get on the bus? Was there a mix up and they thought I was meant to be a passenger on the bus? I walked over and the bus contained an additional elderly lady.

"How much did he schtupp you for?", the old-lady driver asked. It transpired that the old ladies were quite upset about the $1.40 coffee prices. They were used to McDonald's. The whole experience was delightfully random. Why were these women on a bus? Some sort of geriatric adventure?

After I got home and was looking for the correct spelling of "schtupp", I found out that it means "to fornicate". Hmmmm...

Other big news: Stevie is practicing his witch cat look for Halloween. He has plans to sit on the front stoop that night and frighten children and passerbys. Here is the look he is contemplating. Have you ever seen such a precious cat?

1 comment:

Susie Cupcakes said...

I . . . why? Why were the ladies on a short bus in a lovely but not especially tourist-heavy Minneapolis neighborhood? Maybe they were some kind of Yiddish tour group? Schtupp indeed!